Friday, December 25, 2015

Christmas Eve

Christmas Eve..

Having lost both my parents fairly recently, I can't help but think back to the many Christmas eves that are now so long ago. My Mom would always make a special lobster dinner, we'd eat in the living room between the fire and the Christmas Tree, have hot cocoa and get to open one present, but just one, no matter how much I begged.
Christmas eve as a young adult wasn't always so special until  Jessica came along, and once again, it was special. Now she gets to have her Christmas eves with her kids, and build great memories.

Some years later, DeeDee and I started having friends and relatives over on Christmas Eve. It was always a pretty classic event, My family, DeeDee's family, and always our friends Paul and Wendy and their kids as they came along. Wendy and my Mother dancing into the wee hours. As we all got older, that tradition became the past as well.

Now, Christmas Eve is just the two of us, and although a bit more quiet than the past and we don't do gifts anymore, it is still a special night, we have each other.
And over the next few days we'll get together with family and friends and spoil the grandkids with piles of stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment