Saturday, December 26, 2015

What's on the Telly?

My first recollection of television was, I think, when I was about 6 at my Aunts house for Thanksgiving. My uncles were all watching football on what was probably an 8 inch black and white screen.
The first set I can remember at our house was probably around 1957. It was a huge cabinet made of blonde oak. It had 3 doors in front, 2 of which revealed the glorious 12 inch screen. There were 6 knobs to control the volume, vertical hold, horizontal hold, brightness, contrast and the channel knob with 13 numbers. The third door housed the 45 rpm record player, record storage and the large drawer beneath the TV had the 33 and 1/3 record player. Neither my sister nor I were allowed to touch anything!
We lived half way between Boston and Providence, so we got 2 channels pretty good and 4 others ok. We got to watch the "Mickey Mouse Club" in the afternoons, Thursday nights was "I Love Lucy" and my Dad's favorite, "The Real McCoys". Saturday mornings I remember "The Lone Ranger", "Sky King" and "Rin Tin Tin". But Sunday was the big TV night, "Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom" and then "The Wonderful World of Disney" There was nothing but a test pattern on between midnight and 5 AM. Somewhere along the way, UHF channels were added, color of course, bigger screens, cable and now streaming. Kids watch TV on their phones, computers and of course every kid has a TV in their room too. I suppose at some time in the future, TV will stream directly into our brains.



Luckily we have a DVR, because the annoying ads still exist in ridiculous numbers. I counted 18 different ads in just one break while watching "A Christmas Story" With the DVR we record a few shows or a movie, and football games and watch them when we feel like it zipping past the commercials.
You Tube and Streaming are changing the way we watch, but now the commercials are creeping in there too...      Guess I'll just go watch "Jeopardy"

No comments:

Post a Comment