Thursday, December 17, 2015

One Last Autumn Ride

The sun creeps along the horizon, a common criminal

Stealing my daylight, my warmth

The engine reluctantly wakens and surges to life

Wheels crunch over a carpet of frost

The pavement is hard,  the acceleration  feels good

Cold air invades every crevice of my clothing

My warm breath spawns a mystical fog in my helmet

The trees have withdrawn their green blood , exposing their true colors

In a final glorious display they lose their grip on life and fall to earth

My senses become even more alive as the bike weaves through each corner

The smell of apples fermenting on the ground

Leaves decaying to bring forth new life in the Spring

Small chicks a few months ago, Turkeys dart before me

Geese overhead follow that thief the sun

The white hair of winter gleans on the mountain tops

The road snakes up

Past onlookers of spruce and oak

Hustling squirrels play chicken

Faster

One with the road, one last time

No comments:

Post a Comment